What to do if I was mistakenly served with a civil summons from a debt collector?

The defendant is not me.

Asked on November 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

if it is in your name(just not you) then you must defend it and prove not you so they do not mkae you pay after getting a judgment.

if not in your name, send the paperwork back to the lawyer with a note that the defendant does not live there anymore

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.