What to do if I was married but we separated after 17 days and my wife calmed that she filed the paperwork for the divorce yet never did?

She calmed that she filed the paperwork for the divorce but never did. Now she is suing me for alimony and half of everything. We never filed taxes, lived together or obtained anything during the 17 days but I have during the divorce. Can she get anything from me?

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I think that she can unless you can prove the date of separation legally to a court.  Please speak with ana ttorney as soon as you can.  You have not stated how long you are actually married at this point in time.  If she has been self supporting since separation then alimony seems doubtful but check to be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.