I was married 23 years divorced 11 my 15 year olds father passed How am I able to collect remaining child support if he was remarried?

Married 23 years divorced 11 years I have a15 year old and father passed How do
I go about getting remainder of child support? He has remarried

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Family Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your child's loss.  When you negotiated the divorce/custod/support settlement was there a life insurance provision?  There should have ben a policy in effect naming the child (and you as well) as the beneficiary. Are there arrears?  Those can be sued for from the estate of the Father as well.  Please go and consult with an attorney about your options and bring the settlement agreement.  Also, if the Father was gainfully employed please file ASAP for survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.