If I was married 2 years ago but have lived in another state for 4 months, which state would I file in?

I’m looking to file for divorce w/n the next few months. We have no children and have kept all financials separate. No joint bank accounts, credit cards, and/or retirement accounts. I am not on our home’s mortgage, but am on the deed filed. I don’t wish to put a claim in on the home; I would quit claim deed full ownership back to him. I want no spousal support. I still have a MI driver’s license and am registered to vote there as well. My intention is to move back there soon. What state should I file in? How do I go about transferring full ownership of the home to him?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


Chris Miao / The Law Office of Lee & Miao, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your best bet is to file the divorce in the state that you were married in, especially if your soon to be ex-husband still lives in that state.  It will be easier and cheaper to serve him the divorce papers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.