What to do if I was manipulated by someone and put his name of the deed to the house that I bought and now I want him off of the deed?

My daughter purchased a home; she paid for the house in full in cash but she also put her manipulative boyfriend’s name on the deed. The situation has arisen where she realized that this was the wrong thing to do and wants his name removed, she wants him to move out of the house for she no longer wants to be with him and he refuses. What are her options? She paid for the house in full with a life threatening medical malpractice claim, again her then boyfriend did not pay a penny for the house. In addition she and her husband are still married, they have a 3 year old son together. We are quite concerned for this boyfriend has taken advantage of her in every financial aspect with her settlement money.

Asked on December 31, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If she put the boyfriend's name on the deed, then he is an owner of the home--and since he is an owner, he cannot be taken off the deed, or made up to give up his ownership interest in the home, any more than she could ber made to give up her interest in or share of the home. It does not matter that she paid for the home; it does not matter that she is still married; all that matters is that in putting his name on the deed, she made him a co-owner of the home. He cannot be removed from the deed unless he agrees to be (such as if your daughter buys out his interest).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.