If I was locked out of my busniess for nonpayment.of rent, what are my options?

Landlord change my locks for nonpayment of rent Can I still get my belongings? Can they let me back in? How do I know if they took the right steps for lockout?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord cannot use self help with respect to a non-payment of rent situation by changing a tenant's locks which essentially bars the tenant from access to his or her rental.

From what you have written, the landlord's conduct was wrong. Your options are to consult with a landlord tenant attorney regarding your legal rights over what transpired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.