What to do if I was listed as the beneficiary of my father’s bank account and when I went to claim the money the bank denied me the funds because the middle name and birth year were incorrect?

First and last name, birth month and day, along with the city I used to live in was correct. Now the money has been sent to unclaimed property, and I am lost on how to go about getting it. Especially since the bank has the document that my father left stating he wanted me to be his heir.

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are an heir to your father's estate, you can use the Cal Probate Code 13100 affidavit to collect the money at the bank institution.  However, since the bank sent the money to the Cal State Controller's Office, you need to go http//www.sco.ca.gov/Files-UPD/guide_claim_heir.pdf.    You need to submit al of these documents to collect the money. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.