What to do if my roommate signed a new lease without me?

I was leasing with my mom and she signed a new lease without my knowledge. I’ve been paying rent all along and now she’s trying to get management to evict me. When property management changed hands, she told me the old one transferred over to the new companyand everything stayed the same. We moved in here together, and I’ve paid half the bills all along. Now mom is trying to get them to evict me on the grounds that I’m not on the lease. How can they do a new lease like that without me if I’m on the old one? I never left or gave any notice that I was leaving so they knew I was there? Can they “evict” me if I’m not on the lease. Can they call me a squatter if they are getting rent? Do I have any rights?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems that you and your mother need to sit down and address the rental situation. If there is a new lease replacing the one that presumably expired and you are not a signatory on the new lease, your remaining in the rental is subject to the whims of your mother who for all intents and purposes is now your landlord.

You need to carefully read the old lease that you signed. When done, you need to discuss your current situation for occupying the unit with the owner of the property and your mother. If you are not on the new lease and the old lease has expired, your mother can evict you from the premises.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.