What to do if I was summoned to court regarding a car accident but I provided my car insurance carrier of this matter and assumed everything was taken care of?

Should I appear in court or should I provide the plaintiff with all my car insurance carriers at the time information? I don’t understand why I would have to go to court when I am clearly not at fault. I have full coverage insurance than and now, I provided information to the police on the date of the incident and my insurance carrier were made aware of the incident than as well? The accident occurred over 2 years ago.

Asked on July 19, 2014 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

ALWAYS show up to court--if you don't, you will lose by default (like forfeiting a ball game by not showing up). Forward the summons and complaint to your insurer--it's possible the other side did not contact them, which is why they haven't done anything--and ask them about the status of this matter. The other side is NOT required to try to claim through your insurer first; they are legally entitled to file a lawsuit against you, and you in turn would bring your insurer (assuming you have relevant coverage) into the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.