What to do if I was just slapped with a child neglect charge while at a tanning salon because a girl inside the salon called the police saying that I left my kids unattended in a car?

My 3 friends and I go there on a regular basis to take turns going inside and 1 of us stays outside to watch the children. So when the officer arrived my friend approached him asking why he was looking into my car. He told her he received a call and to step away. Even though my other friends was also inside with ER kids in the car I alone was charged. I have to go to an arraignment this Thursday and I don’t know what to expect.

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would get an attorney involved in the matter as soon as you can.  Child Neglect is defined as a a failure to provide for the child’s basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, medical care, education or proper supervision.  It is a very serious charge in Oklahoma punishable by up to life imprisonment in the Department of Corrections, or up to one year in the county jail and/or a fine of between $500 and $5000 dollars.  Get help asap.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.