What to do if I was just given a ticket for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle?

The cop car started trailing us to let us know we had our high beam on. We were on the left most lane – car pool lane. As soon as he was behind us, we moved over a lane, but could not move to the next right lane because of traffic and hence had to slow down. The cop asked us to move to the shoulder on his loud speaker and we did. We finally got a ticket for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle for over a $1000. Is it a good idea to contest this ticket, or go for a mitigation hearing or simply pay up.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Accident Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you honestly believe that you did nothing wrong to warrant the ticket that you received then you should show up at traffic court and contest it concerning the emergency vehicle. However, prudence suggests that you might want to go to some mitigation hearing so as to avoid a conviction and an increase in your insurance premiums where you might have to pay some fee and attend traffic school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.