I was issued ACOD 3 months ago for a year for unlawful possession of marijuana and have just been isued and other summons for UPM?

I have an upcoming court date. What am I looking at as consequences and how should I handle the situation? I currently have no lawyer.

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Arkady Bukh / Bukh Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your should obtain an criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.  In New York, the ACD is only dismissed if you stay out of trouble for the time period given by the court.  You state that was a year and so you have been arrested again within that year.  This could negate the original and in NY there will not be another ACD likely for a second possession charge.  Discuss this with an attorney right away. 

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First you should consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney to assist you with respect to the two charges you are facing. Having a criminal defense attorney helps level the playing field for you.

Assuming you are convicted of the charges that you are facing, you could end up being jailed for up to six (6) months and fined $1,000 per each conviction.

If you cannot afford an attorney, I suggest that you ask for the appointment of a public defender.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.