If I was issued a ticket for going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone but when I looked at the ticket it states 4 mph in a 25 mph zone, can I fight it?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under General Practice, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can fight any charge... you simply need to appear in court and request a jury trial.  The officer will most likely argue that it was a typo, but if admits that part of the ticket was in error, then you can argue that he could have been mistaken about other details... like how fast you were actually going. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.