What to do if I was issued a notice to appear for a battery?

I brushed an individuals hair with the back of my right hand after asking him to turn his cell phone off in a movie theater. It was unintentional on my part. The individual claimed I hit him on the side of his face. The battery is listed on the notice to appear as an misdemeanor.

Asked on September 6, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since you are now facing a criminal misdemeanor matter, I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality to assist in defending the charge. If you do not know of one, one in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.