Is it true that if I was invovled in a hit and run while riding my bike my father’s car insurance will pay for it?

I am under his insurance. I live with him the majority of the time due to his illnesses. I help care for him. But I live with my wife the rest of the time due to the fact she lives near my place of employment.

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Accident Law, New York


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding your bicycle accident and possible automobile insurance coverage.  Each state has their own guidelines regarding what is mandatory as to the type of insurance coverage a person needs to have for their automobile.  Along with the differences across the states, insurance coverage will also vary depending on the type of insurance that you purchase.

First, in this type of scenario, you would need to be considered a “covered insured.”  This means that whatever insurance coverage is on the policy, you would be covered if you were involved in an accident.  You stated that you live with your father sometimes and with your wife the remaining time.  This may not matter as long as you are not committing insurance fraud under your father’s insurance contract.  Some insurance companies will not cover the insured’s children if they are married.  There are some plans that will not cover the insured’s children if they do not live in the same residence.  As long as you are in compliance with the terms of your father’s insurance contract, then you will be listed as a covered insured.

After knowing whether or not you are covered, you need to read the contract to see what type of coverage is listed on the policy.  Usually for a bike accident to be covered, the policy needs to have “P.I.P coverage,” and the accident must have involved an automobile.  It does not matter that you were on a bicycle, as long as a motor vehicle was involved in the accident.

If you have further questions, you can contact your insurance agent to find out your complete insurance coverage. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.