I was involved in an accident on the highway where an SUV spun out of control and slammed into my car, what is a good starting amount to seek concerning compensation?

I caught the whole thing on my dashcam. The insurance accepted liability. I got a concussion and pulled some muscles in my neck. So far there’s about $6000 in damages to my car. It’s really limited my ability to do my job or enjoy quality time with my family. This whole thing has been a nightmare.

Asked on March 3, 2015 under Personal Injury, Colorado


Billie Ruth Edwards / Edwards & Johnson, Attorneys, LLC

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You offer no information as to when this collision occurred or whether you have reached a point of stability in terms of your medical issues. 

Your insurance company should deal directly with the other insurance company, so make sure they keep you up to date on what is happening with your claim. Consult with them before you sign anything from the other insurance company. If you sign something that damages their right to recovery for payments made on your behalf, you may have problems you did not anticipate. 

Your insurance company must include your deductible in any action they bring against the other driver. However, they are not required to include your uncovered damages, such as pain and suffering, lost wages, and so on.

As always, if you have questions, you should make an appointment with an attorney for an initial consultation.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.