If I was not at fault for a traffic accident but the other driver had no insurance or license and was arrested for DUI, how cn I get reimbursement for my expenses?

The damage to my vehicle was around $800, plus $150 for towing, but was the damahed were sustained on a trailer tht I was pulling. Therefore my insurance says they will not cover it.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you do not have a lot of options when you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.  It sounds like your insurance coverage did not extend to the trailer you were pulling.  Your only real option is to pursue a civil claim against the driver who was at fault for the accident.  Depending upon which state you are in, you can likely pursue this claim in small claims or justice court.  Unfortunately, collecting on this type of claim, if you were to get a judgment against the other driver, could be difficult.  Generally, drivers who do not bother to have insurance and a license do not pay judgments.  As such, you need to give this a lot of consideration.  Just because you get a judgment against the other driver does not automatically mean you are going to be able to collect.  Often times, collecting on a judgment is more difficult that getting the judgment in the first place.  You could end up spending time and money out of pocket and get little to nothing in return. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.