If I was involved in a hit and run accident that was the other person’s fault and now they are trying to offer me money, how much do I ask for?

I wasn’t done paying off the truck that was wrecked and I had to buy a new one. My insurance took care of some of this.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if you sued the other person and won (which is presumably what would happen if they were at fault) you could get the sum of the fair market value of the truck that was wrecked (if it couldn't be economically repaired), lost wages if you missed work due to the accident, other out-of-pocket costs (like towing; renting a car to get home and until you could buy a new truck), and the value of any destroyed personal property in the vehicle. If the insurance paid sum, you can get the sum of the above less the amount you received from insurance. There's no harm in trying to ask for more, but use this amount as a benchmark for what would, in the eyes of the law, "make you whole."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.