What can I do if I was involved in a hit and run and the owner of the vehicle was found, but they may or may not have been the driver, can I sue them for my damages?

My car was totaled, and the other driver abandoned their vehicle and fled on foot. I have filed a police report and the owner of the vehicle was found, though im not sure if he/she was the driver at the time. I only had liability insurance at the time. I had bruising and soreness for a few weeks following the accident, but was not seriously injured. I have waited on my insurance company and they have found me to be not at fault. I received a copy of the police report that also states the other party being the cause of the accident. If I were to take action against the owner, what are my chances at getting compensation for my lost vehicle?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The registered owner of the vehicle that was at fault in the accident is liable whether or not that person was the driver.

If you have not settled the property damage claim with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you can sue the at-fault party (registered owner) for negligence for the property damage / loss of your car.  You have a strong case against the at-fault party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.