If I was involved in a car wreck in my husband’s work vehicle, can I file a law suit against my husband’s company for pain and suffering etc.?

My husband was driving and I was in the passenger seat in the front. We were rear-ended. I know I can file suit against the other driver. Can I also sue my husband’s company?

Asked on October 20, 2015 under Personal Injury, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your husband's company is NOT liable. Liability in a car accident is based on fault if you were rear-ended, the other driver is at fault, not your husband or his employer the vehicle's owner. You can only sue at-fault parties, or the owners of the vehicles of the at-fault parties, in a car accident, and based on what you write, that would be the other driver and, if a different person owned his/her car, the owner of the vehicle that hit you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.