What to do if I was involved in a car accident in another state and received a civil court paper giving me 30 days to answer?

I was working for a taxi company. Not sure what to do; I received a citation for going to fast which was not the case, the car slid on wet pavement. What is the best way to handle this?

Asked on April 21, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you don't answer, you will lose automatically, and be subject to whatever (for example, a fine; a money judgment against you; etc.) that the court papers indicate (either directly, or through the statute(s) they cite) you could suffer. You have to answer the paper: you are advised to retain an attorney to help you, but if you do not, then answer truthfully, with your version of what happened, within the time limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.