If I was involved in a car accident 5 days ago but have not heard back from the at-fault party’s insurer, what can I do?

I was involved in a car accident 5 days ago. I was injured and taken to hospital. There were 2 other vehicles involved. I wasn’t not at fault. I have put in a claim with my insurance since I was injured. I have tried to contact the party at fault’s insurer to find out when an adjuster is going to see my vehicle for damages but have not heard from anyone. I need my vehicle or a rental. What should I do next?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


Micah Longo / The Longo Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Simply Answer:  Be patient.  Once you report the incident to the "at-fault" parties insurance, they will open a file and assign an adjuster.  You should have a claim number.  It may take as long as 30 days for the "at-fault" parties insurance to compensate you for your property damage.  If getting your car fixed is a priority, it might be better to go through your insurance and then seek reimbursment of the deductable from the "at-fault" parties insurance.

Also, if you're injured you will be seeking bodily injury damages for your medical bills and pain and suffering from the "at-fault" driver.  You should speak with an attorney;  You can contact me 24/7 for a free consultation.

Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to work with your insurance company.  You should have "property damage" coverage on your own insurance (it is required by law).  Hopefully, you also have "uninsured motorist's" coverage.  If you don't, it is because you signed a waiver of this coverage (Florida requires a waiver or else the coverage is included).  With property damage and uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company will become responsible to take care of your car if the at-fault driver's company refuses to do so.  Therefore, your insurance company will often work with the other driver's company to get this taken care of.

If you have rental reimbursement coverage on your insurance, then your insurance should rent a car for you if the other driver's insurance won't do what is right.  Your insurance company will then go after the other driver's company for reimbursement.

Start with your insurance company.  Call them and find out what they can do to help you.  If you have decent coverage, that will take care of the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.