I was involve on a car accident and had no insurance

Hi. I was involved on a car accident
and had no insurance. I live in TX. The
car that I crash with was on the middle
of the freeway with lo lights. Their
insurance send me a paper saying that I
was being lefally sue for x amount. My
question is worst case scenario what
would happen to me if I don’t pay? I
really can’t pay that kind of money and
I really think it wasn’t my foult.

Asked on March 9, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the lawsuit results in a judgment against you which you cannot afford to pay, the judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.  If you own real property such as a home, a lien can be placed on the property to enforce the judgment.
If you are unable to pay the amount of the judgment, it would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.