What are my rights if I interned at a medical office for 6 months and have found out that 1 of the medical assistants there gave false information to a potential employer?

I was applying to other medical offices with no success. Can I take legal action?

Asked on November 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If was a false statement of fact (i.e. not just an opinion) that is negative and/or damaging, then it may well be defamation; if so, then yes, you could sue for compensation. You would sue the employee; however, the employer would not be liable for this intentional wrongful act unless the employer instructed the employee to lie or gave the employer false information. You could--and should--sue both the employer and employee, but be prepared that if the employer (the medical office) can show that it was not at fault in giving out false information, it would not be liable.
Again, only a false factual statement that harms you is defamation; true facts, even if harmful are not; and opinions, no matter how negative, are not defamation, either. So the medical assistant could say, "John/Jane Doe is the worst co-worker I've ever had," and that is not defamation, since that is an opinion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.