I was injured in a hit a run auto accident in Santa Clara county, California. My Insurance company said I must sign a (HIPPA) form. Must I give them the right to investagate my whole life?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Accident Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Regarding your auto accident in Santa Clara county, CA, if you want to be compensated for an injury you sustained in a car accident, you're going to have to allow the insurance company to review the medical records related to that injury.

When you ask about them investigating your whole life, I'm getting that the HIPAA release looks very broadly worded.  And it may be too broad, but someone would have to take a look at the document itself, together with all of the facts of your case, to be certain.  So to pursue this, you're going to need a car accident lawyer in your area, and one place to look for an auto accident attorney in Santa Clara county, CA is our website, http://attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.