I was injured in a domestic dispute can I force the other party to pay for my injuries if they run into the thousands?

A family member injured me while on vacation
at the lake. I had to have emergency surgery.
What are my options for having him at for the

Asked on August 14, 2018 under Personal Injury, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the family member intentionally injured you, you can sue him for assault and battery. Your damages should include compensation for your medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, compensation for wage loss, and punitive damages.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills determined by the medical reports. Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement. Punitive damages are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful act of the family member who injured you.
Assault and battery are both civil (lawsuit) and criminal. The civil and criminal cases are separate and proceed independently.
If the family member's act that caused your injury was negligent not intentional, your damages would include all of the above except punitive and no criminal case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.