I was Injured at a department store< my injury is miner do i still have a case?

I was walking through a department inside store and a inproperly placed Priceing rack was sticking out of a clothing display and cut and scratched my arm causeing brusing and was bleeding as well.

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Personal Injury, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether you have a case depends on who is at fault, and what you can win.  In this instance, it appears that the department store may be held liable for negligence if your attorney can prove that they should have known that the price rack might cause injury to a customer.  Moreover, most department stores have insurance, which means that they have the financial ability to pay settlements and judgments.  What this case turns on, in my opinion, is your damages.  In other words, how badly were you injured?  If you received stitches and/or a scar, it is likely that you will be able to recover damages in an amount that it makes sense for you to file suit.  If, on the other hand, the cut was actually a "scratch" with no permanent damages, recovering any significant financial sum is unlikely.  I recommend that you consult with a skilled personal injury attorney in your area to discuss the merits of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.