If I was in the process of being evicted but paid the past due rent, do I have to pay a judgement balance also?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming there is a court proceeding going on against you, you still need to get that matter resolved by appearing in court or having your landlord dismiss it as to you while giving you an endorsed filed copy for your records.

If there is a judgment against you in favor of your landlord, you will need to get a full satisfaction of it dated, signed and filed with the court by your landlord to make sure the eviction proceeding against you is concluded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.