What to do if I was in court 3 years ago with my neighbor over a dog bite incident but still haven’t received monies?

A lean was put on her home and from what I’m aware she isn’t to buy anything big(cannot make big purchases) and she owes me over $15,000. I need to know how to go about finishing this and moving on with my life. I haven’t spoken to the lawyer; I was a minor at the beggining of the incident and am about to turn 19 in months. I have been doing research and saw I had options such as my favorite (form of execution) and think this would be the most helpful. It’s been about 6-7 years; she still lives in the same neighborhood right across the street at that.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you have a judgment against your neighbor concerning a dog bite. Obtaining a judgment is just half the battle in litigation. The other half is collecting on it.

What needs to be done is have an order of examination of your neighbor's assets and from there you can start the levy process on her bank accounts or garnish her wages.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of debt collection. You need to be aware that at year nine of the judgment that if you have not been paid in full that you will need to renew it or you will end up losing your judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.