What to do if I was in an auto accident and it was confirmed by the at-fault insurance company that accident caused transmission damage?

They are only agreeing to pay 50% of the transmission repair. We had bought the vehicle 3 weeks before and it was fully inspected before-hand. There was nothing wrong with the transmission then. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Asked on August 27, 2013 under Accident Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you disagree with settlement offers from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you can reject the settlement offer and sue the at-fault party (registered owner of the vehicle) for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking for property damage to your car) would be the cost of repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.