What to do if I was in an at-fault accident but my insurance was lapsed at the time and I have a court date coming up?

The charge was something like failure to avoid an accident but I was told that if I just take a letter down to the courthouse showing the other drivers car got fixed then they would likely drop it but here lies the problem. I found out later that my insurance had lapsed and my insurance company is not fixing the other car so I’m pretty much screwed there arn’t I? I got a call from the driver a while back asking if I had insurance and a letter from their insurance company but nothing else has been brought up about it lately so I’m not sure if I can just pay the ticket and be done with it or am I gonna have to get a lawyer to truly be done with it?

Asked on March 8, 2014 under Accident Law, North Carolina


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not need a criminal attorney for a failure to avoid an accident charge, but you probably do need an attorney to defend you from the lawsuit that is going to be filed against you by the other driver if you do not pay to fix his car.  You need to beg, borrow or steal to pay to fix the other driver's car because defending against the lawsuit would only cost you more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.