I was in an accident in Riverside county, California. The insurance company of the owner of the truck has denied the claim after telling me the truck was covered along with my medical. What do I do now?

I was paying the truck off from the owners of the truck. I rolled the truck in a car accident in Riverside county, CA. The owner was called to let them know about the car accident. The ower stated that they had signed over the truck to me and that they had cancelled the insurance on the 8th of May (without letting me know). The accident was on the 13th. The title was sent out on the 13th. The owner told the insurance company that they gifted the truck to me. I have no bill of sale nor any thing from them that gave me the truck. The truck is still in their name… Please I need help. I am hurt and have no medical insurance. Thank you.

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Accident Law, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact a car accident attorney in Riverside county, California right away to figure this out.  You need someone who is familiar with insurance matters as well as personal injury cases.  It sounds like the original owner of the truck is trying to pull a fast one here and, after the fact, fudged the transfer of ownership so that he and his insurance would no longer be responsible for your damages.  I would recommend you use http://www.attorneypages.com to find a California auto accident attorney in Riverside county and let him or her get right on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.