What should I do if I was injured in an accident about 6 months ago and the other driver was at fault?

The other driver was at fault. I was injured and had to go to the ER. I had several doctors visits including 2 months of physical therapy. I’m ready for the other insurance company to pay off my medical bills and offer a settlement. I talked to the adjuster the other day about the status of my claim and she informed me that I had to send them my medical records. Is this something I should do?

Asked on October 11, 2015 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you want any chance of them settling, yes, you should send them the records. Settlement--or paying your claim paying you compensation without you suing them them and winning in court--is voluntary on their part they can freely decide whether or not to settle. It being voluntary on their part, they can require any documentation or information they want while it's not guaranteed that they'll pay you after reviewing the medical records, they definitely will not if you don't provide them.
If they don't settle and you have to sue for the money to which you believe you are entitled, you'd have to provide the records then, so there's no harm in showing them now. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.