What to do if I was in an accident and an ambulance/EMS responded and provided medical services that were unnecessary to address the situation?

I have since been billed more than I can afford to pay for said services. Is there any way that I can challenge the billing for services that were unrequested and (perhaps) outside of the City’s jurisdiction?

Asked on August 8, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are being billed for activation of the 911-system and subsequent rendered services; the response of emergency personnel incur significant costs. Even if you had refused transport, you were still provided with a service by the responders.

In this instance however, you did receive services that were thought to be medically necessary and as determined by duly licensed professionals. So absent some sort of malpractice claim (i.e. you were in some way harmed as a result of their treatment), you have no remedy here. You must pay the bill (this is actually a collection problem not a malpractice issue).

Note: A police officer or a “good samaritan” who called 911 on your behalf bears no legal responsibility to pay for the services provided you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.