If I was in an accident but never charged with anything, what do I do if I have now recieved a notice that I have a warrant for a DUI?

Is this possible after 9 years? This is the first I am hearing anything on the issue. Accident was in one state; I live in another.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have recently received notice that there is an outstanding bench warrant against you for a failure to appear in court concerning an accident supposedly involving alcohol use that happened years ago, I suggest that you immediately retain a criminal defense attorney who practices in the county and state where the charge against you is pending.

By doing so, you will have a professional experienced in the area of the law assisting you to try to resolve the situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.