What to do if I was in an accidentand hit a car andit hit another vehicle that vehicle hit another vehicle?

I sold my vehicle in the morning and I went with the buyer to DMV to transfer the vehicle to his name and we paid for the fees. later that day I was supposed to take the vehicle to a mechanic to fix a problem that was agreed when I sold the vehicle. Later that day coming back from the mechanic I was involved in an accident that was my fault. The new owner had no insurance in place for this vehicle neither did I because I was not using this vehicle so I had cancel my insurance. Since I was at fault and the vehicle was no longer in my name should I use my insurance from another vehicle to cover me .

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Most insurance policies that are placed by an individual not only cover the car but also the individual with respect to any car that he or she drives as to liability and damages caused by the insured driver.

Possibly you might be covered under your own insurance policy as an individual for the auto accident that you are writing about. I suggest that you report the incident to your insurance carrier right away and see what happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.