If I was in an accident that was my fault and I was criminally cited, do you recommend that I have a lawyer at my court date?

Both cars were totaled. The other party had some injuries and was hospitalized for a few days. I had 4 citations and my court date is about 2 weeks. The citations were for: improper lane usage, not reducing speed, lack of insurance card, and illegal transport of alcohol.

Asked on April 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney since there is a criminal case against you on the charge of illegal transportation of alcohol.

In the future, you will also need an attorney to represent you when you are sued by the party who was injured in the accident.  If that party has uninsured motorist coverage, that party's insurance company will sue you for the amount it pays on the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.