If I was in a wreck while on company business in my personal vehicle, is my employer required to pay my deductible/damages?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Accident Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no--your employer would only be eligible to pay your deductible/damages if there had specifically been either 1) an agreement or contract between you and your employer requiring them to pay this; or 2) they had promised they would pay prior to you driving on business, and the only reason you drove your personal vehicle on business was this promise, and they were aware of that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.