If I was in a wreck a month ago but the police have still not gotten the police report right, what should i do

I was told not to inform my insurance company yet about the accident. So until I get my report from the police, what should I do?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Accident Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to consider advising your insurance carrier that you were in an automobile accident as soon as possible in that failure to do so in a timely manner may be a violation of the terms and conditions of your contract of insurance.

As to getting the police report concerning the accident that you were in, I would make it a practice to contact the police department on a weekly basis seeking the document until you receive it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.