What can I happen if I was in a road rage incident today?

Another driver was driving slow in the fast lane, so I switched lanes to pass them but they then sped up flipping me off. I eventually got in front and put my windshield wipers and slowed down to spray them. I then drove off switching lanes to the right to proceed to merge on another freeway. The other guy then sped up to catch up with me, switching several lanes fast, and when he got close to me in the left lane right behind me, I swerved into his lane a little bit to scare him or whatever. He had a dash camera and got everything on film and was pointing at the camera then pointing at me as he drove off. Can I get in trouble or be arrested for this?

Asked on December 9, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The good news ofr you is that no damage was done or injuries caused: if they had been, you could have charged with assault, vandalism, even manslaugher if a death resulted.
The bad news is that if the other driver takes this to the police and they find his dash cam and testimony credible, you could get ticketed for some form of reckless driving, as well as with improper lane changes, and could face several hundred dollars of fines and several points on your license.
A word of advice: don't do this again. It could have had drastic consequences (and that's even excluding the fact that if the other driver was armed and/or unstable--i.e. willing to run into you--you could been assaulted or killed. So what is some random stranger flipped you off? You'll never see him again--his opinion of you or his rude gesture is irrelevant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.