If I was in a recent accident in a company dump truck and was ticketed a few days after for careless driving, should I retain legal services?

The car I hit put their blinker and brakes on right where they turned and I hit them.

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It's probably best to retain an attorney who can help you with both issues--the ticket, which is definitely an issue (you want to get  it reduced as much as possible, to reduce the points on your license; a lawyer can help you do that) and a potential lawsuit for damages to the car you hit (or injuries to the people in it), if you are sued.

Note that it's not a given that you will be sued: the car's owner may choose to only sue your company, since they presumably have more money then you. (And actually: if the car's owner's insurance takes care of all their costs and there're no personal injuries, they may not bother to sue at all.) But even though you were driving a company truck, since you were driving, you *could* be sued either instead of or in addition to the company; the driver can always be sued. And even if you're not sued by the car's owner, if that person sues your company, your company and/or the company's insurer may sue you to try to recover anything they have to  pay out. So if you end up being sued by one party or another, you'll want an attorney; and since you'll need a lawyer for the ticket anyway, you may as well get an attorney who could help you with both matters at need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.