What to do if I was in a car accident last week and am having back and neck pain?

I am a college student who was forced to drop out because my parents refused to continue helping me. They have completely cut me off financially and emotionally. Since the accident I have not been back to work because of pain and am now falling behind on bills since I live paycheck to paycheck. My phone is going to be shut off now, is it the insurance companies responsibility to compensate me for that?

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Personal Injury, Indiana


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your accident.  You do not say who was at fault for the accident.  If you were not at fault for the accident, you need to establish an injury claim with the insurance company for the driver who was at fault for the accident. If you are continuing to have back and neck pain you need to see a physician and get some treatment for your injuries.  With a personal injury claim, you are entitled to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and the pain and suffering you experienced as a result of this accident.  The fact that your phone may get shut off is not something any insurance company will reimburse you for. If you were the driver who was at fault for the accident, you do not have a lot of options in the way of reimbursement for your injuries.  Hopefully you carry medical coverage on your own auto insurance which you may be able to use to cover any medical bills or costs you may have associated with this accident.  If you are unsure as to what your options are, I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area and seek a consultation. Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.