If I was in a car accident but my auto insurance lapsed, how can I get the at fault driver’s insurer to pay for the damages to my vehicle?

My car had to be towed; the person that caused the accident drove away.

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have the name of the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you can contact the insurance carrier and inform that company of the name of the at-fault party in the accident and the policy number.  You can then pursue your property damage claim with that insurance carrier.
If there was a police report of the accident, you can present that to the insurance carrier to support your claim that the other driver was at fault.
If there are any problems with the at-fault party's insurance carrier denying the claim, your recourse is to file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.  Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit would be the cost of repairs to your car, towing, and any other costs incurred due to the accident).  Ask the at-fault party's insurance carrier for a rental car while your car is being repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.