What to do if I was in a car accident and was unlicensed/uninsured but my passenger and other witnesses stated it was the other driver’s fault?

The car was my boyfriend’s bought from his family friend a few weeks before and a bill of sale was signed; I don’t believe the title was switched over to his name. Now the other driver’s insurance company is trying to get 11k for reimbursement and is trying to state that the accident was my fault and suspend my license (which is fine) but what I am concerned about is the previous owner of the car received a letter from the DMV stating their license would be suspended as well. What can I do to make sure I am there only one responsible for this?

Asked on August 27, 2014 under Accident Law, Washington


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you do not believe you were at fault in the accident you should fight the other driver's insurance company and consider suing the other driver.  His/her insurance will defend against the lawsuit.  You have witnesses on your side.  The previous car owner should be able to explain that he sold the car and was not involved in the accident; he may have to spend a miserable day at the DMV but if he brings all the paperwork and if the title has been switched, it should not be a problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.