If I was in a car accident in a car that belonged to my dad but I was not named in the policy, do I have to pay for the damages or will the insurance company cover any of it?

Asked on February 8, 2016 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were not at fault in the accident, then the property damage claim (cost of repairs to your dad's car) and your personal injury claim (if you were injured) would be filed with the at-fault party's insurance company.
If you were at fault in the accident, your dad's insurance might deny the claim of the other party because you were not on the policy and were therefore an unauthorized driver.  If that occurs, the other party would sue you and your dad for negligence (since he is the registered owner of the vehicle) for property damage (cost of repairs to the other party's vehicle) and if injured a separate personal injury claim.  The personal injury claim would include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, an amount in addition to the medical bills, and compensation for wage loss.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.