If I was in a car accident, should I give a statement to the adjuster or is the police report sufficient?

The other driver ran a stop sign and T-boned me. I was not injured however my car was not drivable. The driver hit me and kept going.

Asked on February 12, 2015 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should give a statement to the adjuster, since the more information you can provide, the more you will help him make a recommendation as to waht you should receive. The police report is helpful, but it may not have everything the adjuster needs, since the police report is focused on possible criminal liability, not on determining insurance pay-outs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.