What to do if I was at-fault for a car accident and my insurance expired about a week before?

The other driver had liability insurance, said he can’t claim it with his insurance because it won’t cover it. They said they are going to hire an attorney and sue. Will my driver’s license be suspended? I’m willing to pay for the damages; I just need a payment plan.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with an attorney in your locality that practices insurance law. In most states there is a grace period of thirty (30) days to reinstate one's expired auto insurance policy. Such may be the case in your state. The suggested insurance law attorney can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.