What to do if I was in a car accident but agreed to pay out of pocket?

The lady was perfectly fine and even said she was ok and no one was hurt. Then her insurance called us twice and we told them we were paying out of pocket. Her insurance called a third time saying she was injured during the accident. Is there any hope for me?

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Personal Injury, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your insurance company and NOT pay out of pocket because if the other driver was injured or claims to have been injured, you will be liable for her medical bills, pain and suffering and wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  All of this may result in thousands of dollars which is why you should refer the matter to your insurance carrier and let the insurance carrier handle the entire case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.