If I was in a car accident about 2 years ago and was not at fault but the other party has filed a lawsuit, what are the steps to file a countersuit for lost wages, etc?

The insurance companie(s) found me to not be at fault. What are the steps to file a countersuit due to me having to appear in court? Also, what documents evidence should I prepare?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Accident Law, California


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were involved in an automobile accident and you were insured at the time, your insurance company should provide legal representation on your behalf.   You should notify your insurance company of the lawsuit immeidately.  The attorney who represents you will know what issues to address in your Answer and Counterclaim. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.