If I was at fault for a car accident 2 years ago and didn’t have insurance at the time, since I’m now being sued what do I do now?

I currently have insurance. I was served papers 2 days ago that I am being sued by the insurance company for $12,000. I am unemployed and do not have that kind of money. What kind of lawyer should I talk to? Every lawyer’s office I have called say they don’t handle those cases and they don’t know who does so I’m lost.

Asked on October 3, 2014 under Accident Law, Delaware


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You would need to hire an attorney who normally handles insurance defense, but works for a private firm that is not devoted to a specific insurance company.  Problem is you would probably wind up paying more than $12,000 for the attorney before the matter is resolved.  Any insurance defense attorney who takes the case will want a $5,000 advance fee anyway.  You might be best off just letting the other side know there is no insurance and negotiating a settlement with a payment plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.